Wednesday, November 07, 2007

A Very Dark Day for Finland

Once again my mother - who lives in Finland - asked me this morning if I had seen the news yet (she was the one who told me about 9/11 when the first plane had just hit the towers). I had not. I quickly turned on the news and goolged some more on the internet. A very tragic school shooting had just occurred in Finland. A young man went on a shooting rampage killing several students and the principal. He admired the Columbine shooters, said his friend.

I cried after reading about the incident. It felt so much closer than all the incidents here - as tragic as they have felt.

I have been so angry at the rampant violence in this country. And I have been scared to raise a child in the U.S. amidst so much violence we are exposed to on a daily basis through mass media and warlike attitudes. The United States exists in a cartoonish reality - but what about the rest of the world?


Nation & World | Eight killed in Finland school shooting; plan reportedly was revealed on YouTube video | Seattle Times Newspaper

No comments: