Saturday, August 16, 2014

Michael Brown

A few days ago a Snohomish County Sheriff threatened to arrest me for trespassing in a public park if I ever parked my car there again while going to work.  I had parked there for 3 hours (the sign says that parking is limited to 3 hours) and had come back to move my car when the officer confronted me.

I am white, middle-aged female.  I have never been arrested or threatened to be arrested in my life.  I have always respected and trusted the police as public servants trying to do their job.  Having the officer in my face threatening me and telling me that I should not continue to argue with him because I would "lose" in the end, made me realize how simplistic my thinking was.  He had the gun and the power.  I should stop arguing with him - and I did.  But I was incredulous and offended by his abuse of power.

What if I had not been white, middle-aged female?  What if I had been Michael Brown parking my car at this public park?  Or Michael Brown just walking through the park?  What would have happened to me then?

---T

No comments: