Saturday, March 29, 2008

Key West





Key West is my new favorite place in the world! It is a mixture of Honolulu and Provincetown with charming little shops, old buildings, lovely restaurants, happy people, and the ocean within a short walking-distance from anywhere. There are beaches here (although sand was brought in by people, because this is a coral island), but the biggest attraction is the the old town with Caribbean spirit, and slow, easy pace that draws you into exploration. Ernest Hemingway loved it here - I can understand why. I have to come back and do more exploring when I have more time.

The people of Key West seceded from the United States some time ago - hence the Conch Republic. It's a fascinating story of independent spirit and good humor.
You can read more about it here. I feel like I would like to join the Conch Republic. (A conch is a large shell.)
---T

No comments: