Thursday, March 06, 2008

My Grandmother


Jenny Emilia Kallinen was born a hundred years ago today. She was my grandmother. She grew up in Tervola, a small town in Northern Finland near the Kemi river. She was the third of five children. Her two younger siblings died of the "Spanish influenza" in 1918.


Jenny's family was poor and she was able to go to school for only four years, even though she was smart. Secondary school was far away and expensive. She married my grandfather, Emil Moberg, in 1928 and my mother was born a year later.

My grandmother learned to be frugal and tidy in all things. She saved everything neatly in her closets and cleaned her home thoroughly and regularly. She had experienced hard times through civil war, depression and World War II. She believed in God but was not overly religious.

I had a special bond with my grandmother because I lived with her for a while when I was six years old. She taught me many things including how to tell time and how to save money. She also showed me the importance of forgiveness.

My grandmother passed away in 1984, but I still remember her fondly, and she often comes back to me in my dreams. Her life was not easy or simple; she had health problems, and after my grandfather died in 1956, financial difficulties. But she persevered through it all, and learned to enjoy small things.

Congratulations, Jenny!
--- T

No comments: